Happy Sunday all! Trust dramaland has been treating you well and everyone is coping with the mad year-end dash. Onwards with this week’s news…
1. It’s D-DAY: Gong Yoo appears on Running Man today! He and The Suspect co-star Park Hee Sun are first-timers and it looks like they’ll be getting their feet wet quite literally if these SBS promo pics are anything to go by:
Have been eagerly anticipating this since birth. But will have to hold myself back because I’m attending my first squee party with kfangurl and other Gong Yoo obsessives from all over the world on the 12th. December. If you want to join the squee squad for our inaugural squee fest, head here for details! All are welcome!
2. Announcing the Women in K-drama Awards 2013! A couple of bloggers have gotten together to fill a very noticeable gap seen in Dramabeans’s popular annual Beanie awards. The nominations list is here and voting starts on the 15th. Check it out and fill in your noms pronto because it’s not clear when nominations close. How exciting! There have been many interesting, out-of-the-box women characters that I’ve loved this year and I’m looking forward to celebrating them.
Meanwhile, The Master’s Sun is far and away the Dramabeanie favourite with approximately 50% of a total 18, 000 votes so far followed by I Hear Your Voice. And no surprises for which drama is ahead in the Most Overrated stakes, it’s the drama everyone loves to hate-on: Heirs. What I don’t get is, how can a drama be overrated if everyone hated it from the start (by everyone, I mean everyone on the DB’s comments section)? Being overrated implies that the drama had to be rated in the first place, no? It sounded like the drama never stood a chance.
3. Siwon spotted at shopping mall in Kuala Lumpur! Okay fine, rather it was his wax doppelgänger which stands outside Kyochon, a fried chicken restaurant that just opened in 1-Utama shopping centre. Tickled me silly seeing
him it. Super Junior shills for the Korean chain and were supposed to open the restaurant when they were in KL for their concert a couple of weeks ago. But that fell through. Incidentally, I was chowing down on the chicken (tasty!) when I practically spat out my food. Why? I heard the familiar strains of “Love issss the momeeentt”, the Heirs’s ballad of teen angst. There is no escaping that song.
4. Miss Korea dropped a teaser which makes me rethink my interest in watching it. I like Lee Sun Kyun enough to overlook the eye-rolling premise of the drama (a bunch of guys makeover a gal in a bid to save their ailing cosmetics company), and it sounds like it could potentially be hysterical, depending on how drama chooses to play it. It’s by the team behind Pasta and debuts 18th December on MBC.
5. Noona’s Over Flowers is killing the competition. The variety travel show starring Lee Seung Gi as porter for four veteran actresses debuted with a jaw-dropping 10.5% average, besting the big 3 terrestrial channels. Looks like TvN is closing out the year in excellent shape with this and Reply 1994 being an even bigger smash hit than it’s predecessor. Subs for NoF are non-existent but you can enjoy the recaps over at DB as I do every week. In this week’s episode the group transits in Turkey and is cursed by erm…spinning tops?