Happy new year folks! How goes the new year’s resolutions? I have resolved to take better care of myself, which means dropping dramas like hot potatoes. On with the news round-up this week:
1. New couples great the new year in K-ent! First Seung Gi and YoonA were outted by Dispatch and followed by
Baksa Jung Kyung Ho and Soo Young a day later. I’m just happy that it looks like the SNSD girls are allowed to have love lives after all. Funny story about the Seung Gi-YoonA (what’s their couple name? GiYoo? SeungNA?) news: I couldn’t sleep so I woke up at some ungodly hour that night, read the news, and then fell back asleep awhile later, only to dream about Seung Gi. As expected it was pretty bizarro, but I don’t remember much except me and Seung Gi were scouring an underground shopping mall looking for food in the middle of the night. Seung Gi must have made an impression because I remember thinking, “Gosh, Seung Gi sure is a really sweet guy. A doofus though, but sweet.”
2. Rain is back baybeh! Rain dropped his new album and two singles this week, “3oSexy” and “La Song“. I have to say, the latter is quite unlike anything I’ve heard in K-pop and I’m not sure that’s a good thing. Regardless, I’m just happy to see him back and dancing on my screen again. He makes sexy look so easy and effortless. Meanwhile, I’ve been casually watching Rain Effect, his show on Mnet, and in truth, I wished he spent more time at home because boy, is it fun watching a superstar cleaning up dog poop.
3. The big three broadcasters doled out their annual drama awards this week, and now that the dust has settled, let’s talk about what really matters: the fashion. Lee Bo Young has never looked more like the goddess she is, and hubby Ji Sung didn’t look so bad himself.
Kim Tan Lee Min Ho got an award for best dressed for his perilously tight trousers. On the gossip front, poor Suzy (who won for Gu Family Book) is facing alot of flak for her speech in which she appeared unprepared and thanked her dog. Sigh, she loves her dog, leave her be!
4. The dramas don’t stop, and I know everyone is loving Man From Another Star, and Prime Minister and I, and there’s none too many looking forward to seeing Sung Jung romancing Kim So Yeon in I Need Romance 3. For me, I haven’t really checked out any new dramas seriously, but I’m practically levitating with excitement for Secret Love Affair starring A Wife’s Credentials alum Kim Hee Ae and director Ahn Pan Seok. This promises to be a meaty melodrama with a noona romance at it’s core. SIGN ME UP! The drama airs in March on JTBC.
5. It’s been a huge year for Korean cinema with 9 Korean films taking the lion’s share of the domestic box office. The biggest film of the year is Miracle in Cell No 7. Other hits include Secretly, Greatly, Snowpiercer and The Berlin File. Also check out Modern Korean Cinema’s favourite films of the year. I just hope and pray that I’ll be able to see Snowpiercer uncut some day.