Greetings friends! I believe it’s a holiday in the ROK today. We got our holiday last week with Mayday, so I’m not complaining. Jaejoong, Kim Myung Min and more ahead:
1. I’m sure Jaejoong fans are gearing up with their popcorn and whatnot for Triangle which premiers tonight on MBC. Meanwhile at SBS, another heartthrob is preparing to unleash his potent
abs charms in Doctor Stranger on us–Lee Jong Seuk’s medical-spy-thriller is going up against the melodrama of Triangle in a Mon-Tues showdown of angst and abs. For me Lee Beom Soo trumps Lee Jong Seuk any day, not least because Doctor Stranger sounds downright batty (which can be a great thing if it’s done right) while Triangle looks and sounds meatier, and frankly, more my cup of tea. This subbed teaser looks pretty impressive (and so does Jaejoong’s abs which…why is he running half naked down a street??) so I’ll be keeping my eye on this one.
Monday-Tuesday nights are packed, aren’t they? As many of you know, my dance card is fully occupied with Secret Love Affair. But there’s also Big Man and Witch’s Romance both of which are going strong I hear, especially the latter if some awesomely sexy gifsets I’ve seen floating around on tumblr are anything to go by.
Update: HAH okay so MBC just uploaded this clip from tonight’s ep of Triangle which answers the important question of why Jaejoong is running half-naked down the street. And in slow-mo too:
2. But speaking of Secret Love Affair, I’m a little thrown by news last week that it will be a 16 episode run, which means it only has four episodes to tie things up. I was left a little bereft by last week’s episodes which I felt delivered it’s usual dose of riveting character study but, at the expense of the plot moving forward. And knowing this will end soon means I need to yet again, adjust my expectations for how far this can go. By this I mean, how deeply this show will explore other relationships besides the OTP’s which has been on the thin side. Nevertheless, SLA FTW!
3. Kim Myung Min returns! A New Leaf had a decent premier pulling in around 6% for MBC. I sussed out the first couple of episodes and I have to say that Anthony just classes up the joint, you know? Kim Myung Min can just walk into a room and make everything better. The first two eps go to great lengths to establish just how much of a soulless corporate lawyer his character is–he defends evil corporations (Japanese ones! Who exploited Koreans during the war!) and rich rapists. And the only way a soulless lawyer would ever be redeemed is…by accident. Hence, amnesia. HAHA I geddit, show. Not too fond of the profession myself, despite having many dear friends and family who are lawyers. But jokes aside, the show felt a little uneven–at times I was watching a rom-com, at others I was watching a serious courtroom drama with very serious music telling me to take it very seriously. The directing might be the main drawback here as this looks a lot less polished than expected. I remain however, cautiously optimistic. Because…Anthony!! Doesn’t he look adorable as an amnesiac?
4. Is it too crazy to be looking ahead to summer dramas? It’s Okay It’s Love premiers in July, and looking at the pictures of the script reading, I’m getting tingly from seeing Gong Hyo Jin and Jo In Sung together. Those two cuties could make a pretty great pairing, if Noh Hee Kyung can make this one stick. There was some confusion as to whether this was a rom-com or a melo in earlier press, and I’m thinking this one sounds like a light melo? Or rather, I’m hoping this will take a light, human-drama, slice-of-life approach instead of going the angst and trauma route that was That Winter The Wind Blows. Rounding out the cast is EXO’s DO, Lee Kwang Soo and Sung Dong Ill.
5. Serious business to round off–if there’s anything I’d recommend reading this week is Ask A Korean!’s comprehensive run-down of the Sewol tragedy. Part 1 details the events of the accident, and Part 2, the structural causes and actors such as the ferry operators. Part 3 to come. I’ve yet to read anything as clear and informative as this. Highly recommended.
Have a good week ahead all 🙂